Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Guy And Mae's Tavern

This is a pic of Judy (one of Guy's daughters) & me ... standing behind the bar, with a picture of Guy behind us.

I went back into the kitchen, and here's a batch of their famous sauce that they had just made. One day's worth.

This is Steve (Guy's son-in-law, who is the pitmaster & runs the operation now) and me ... standing in front of the pit.

Took a trip to a bbq landmark recently ~ Guy & Mae's Tavern in Williamsburg, Kansas. I knew Guy pretty well, as he and Mae would come to my restautrant often for liver and onions and I was at his bbq joint equally as often for his famous ribs. Guy (as the story goes) got his start smoking ribs at his house, and selling them at the local truck stop to the truckers ... as his reputation grew, he opened this lil' tavern and began selling ribs & beer ... and the rest is history. Guy is gone now, but the business remains in the able hands of his extended family ... and the time-honored tradition of Guy & Mae's bbq continues.
~~~**~~~**~~~
Commander Cody ~ Mama Hated Diesels

No comments: